« Home | Mary Lewys -- Random Annoyances » | Mary Lewys -- Reality Right Hook and Fantasy Left Jab » | Mary Lewys -- Happier Life My Ass » | Mary Lewys -- In & Out with a freak flag » | Mary Lewys -- I Believe In I. » | Mary Lewys -- It Could Be The Salmon Mousse » | Mary Lewys -- The Phone's Ringing » 

Friday, March 17, 2006 

Mary Lewys -- Can there be too much information?

I wonder if I have a phobia or something; an unconscious fear that drives me to know. Not only do I hit twenty plus websites a day, ranging from the major news agencies to writers' blogs to fluffy sites filled with witty banter, I schedule educational television during the week on my DVR to overindulge in during my weekends. Oh, sure, this compulsion can be racked up to the pop-culture phenomenon that is the Information Age or or it could be because I am a writer seeking inspiration. Either of those could easily explain it, though I suspect both are components to a bigger affair.

Last weekened, I watched Banned From The Bible, Wild West Tech, Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World, How William Shatner Changed The World (that was great fun), and Quest for the Giant Squid. I would like to say I balanced these with entertaining, fictional shows and movies. When not overloading my brain on the chapters that were left out of the the Scriptures, how the Indians had better tech than Custer or how baby giant squids are about the same size as ants, I was reading up on subversive spirits for my supposed novel.

If it wasn't for G4's The Attack Of The Show, I would feel completely cut off from current pop-culture. The Daily Show gives me prevailing point-of-views. My son keeps me young with BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo and Shonen Jump's One Piece. Eventually, I settled into entertainment, but only after I exhausted myself fucking all the knowledge I could out of my television. HBO Original Programing is the post-coitus cigarette.

I did find time to help my niece out in between shows. For her first anniversary with her current beau, I signed up to watch her two Jack Russell terriers while her and hopefully-will-be hubby skipped out of town. If it wasn’t for watching the Dog Whisperer, I would've made mincemeat out of those two pooches.

Three cheers for television!

What can I say? Information makes me warm inside. Knowledge brings me a certain level of peace. When I've learned something new, I'm as happy as a bunny in a comfy blanket. The only thing under a NC-17 rating that makes me happier is sharing the information. If I can pass something along that enlightens or enriches someone's life, then I do have a purpose on this earth (aside from making sexual references in a blog). In another life, I could've been an archivist at the Library of Alexandria. Instead of video programming, blogging and mailing lists, I could've pushed parchment, papyrus, and paper on people, distilling the works of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.

Heh. That's pushing it a bit. Latigo Flint, e, and Warren Ellis aren't right up there on the heavy stuff. At least not yet - only time will tell.

Like Red Green says, "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"

Knowledge is the wave of the future, so I'm doing what I can to make sure we get there in one piece. And if you don't start behaving, I'm going to turn this car around.

I love educational television. I wish I had more time for it. In fact, I'm gonna make time. Enough of this running around on weekends, cleaning and working. I need ME time. If the schools would present education the way TV does, I would've liked studying history much more.

Post a Comment